[THIN] Re: Corrupt Application Log

  • From: Henry Sieff <hsieff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:01:56 -0600

A) if you wrap your event logs (ie overwrite older entries with newer
entries) corruption can occur. MS CLAIMS this is only a WIn2K SP4 problem,
but I have seen it happen on NT4, Win2K SP1-3. There is supposedly a hotfix
for this (post sp4 only) but I just don't wrap event logs.

B) There could be an application you've installed which has a corrupt event
logging library - this can be painstaking to troubleshoot

C) If malware is attempting to modify the event log's (which is rilly rilly
hard to do) and messes up (I haven't heard of any that do this yet).

D) Other than that, in-place re-install (which pretty much means you should
just fsck it and start over.

Henry