[THIN] Client Created Printer Problems

  • From: <dmarkham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:26:30 -0500

I am running Metaframe XPe FR1/SP1 on W2K SP3.  I have client printer
mapping turned on for not just locally attached printers but also for
client defined network printers.  The problem I have is that I have
people that try to print to the client printers and either nothing
prints, or only a few lines print, or the print is garbled.  When this
happens I can go into the Citrix Server and look at the client printer's
properties and change it from spooled to print directly to the printer
and they can print fine.  Unfortunately, when they disconnect from their
session and later come back into an application, the printer is set back
to spooled and they run into the same issues with printing again.  This
makes it sound to me like a print driver problem, but even forcing
printers to use the Universal Print Driver, causes the same problem.  I
have also played around with compatible drivers and nothing seems to
help, until I set the printer to print directly to the printer.  I
didn't have client printer mapping turned on, but turned it on to easily
allow OneWorld printing of reports with Acrobat to a user's client
created locally attached printer or to a client created network printer.
Has anybody else seen this problem?  Is there a good document that
references this and has options for resolving it?

Butch Markham
Appleton
(920) 991-7009