[THIN] Citrix Farm crash analysis

  • From: "Josh Pepper" <Josh.Pepper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:31:38 -0500

All-

Today, our Citrix farm went down.  Well, at least logins through the web
interface died.  The actual symptom was that when people tried to log
into the Web Interface, they got the error message, "ERROR: The supplied
credentials could not be validated. Either they are incorrect, or there
is a problem with the authentication system. Try again, or contact your
help desk or system administrator for help."

Then we noticed that our Data Collector started to act "funny" - that
all of a sudden there were no active sessions on it.  So we tried to
disable logins on it (in order to diagnose) and got the attached error
message ("The value entered for "maximum memory to use for each
session's graphics" is invalid.  Please enter a value between 150
kilobytes and 8192 kilobytes.  Error code: 51a").

Meanwhile, people who were already logged into Citrix seemed to continue
on OK, except of course for people trying to log in.

We rebooted the Data Collector, and the credentialing error on the web
interface went away, and people were able to log in again.

Currently, our only suspicion is that someone was using the Management
Console at the exact time that a network error occurred, severing their
connection.  Could a lost RDP connection have resulted in a horrendously
bad setting on the data collector, resulting in failed logins?

Anyone?

Thanks

Josh