[THIN] Re: Cisco equipment and Wyse Rapport/Thin Clients - Might be a bit off topic

  • From: "Joe Grainger" <JAG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:57:56 +0000

Also had a very similar problem here when evaluatiing wyse products earlier
this summer.

We were using a Windows 2003 ftp server to host our images.  It turned out that
Wyse's documentation was incorrect.  They had not used the correct directory
name for storing files on the ftp server.  The correct directory name should
have been Wyse.

>>> evandewars@xxxxxxxxx 01/12/2005 15:47:17 >>>

Have you added an ip-helper entry for the Rapport server?  Even though it's on
the same vlan it may be worth a shot.

On 12/1/05, Craig Gauss < gaucra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:We are having a heck
of a problem getting our Rapport server to talk to the thin clients on our
network.  Wyse support keeps wanting to place the blame on the network.  I
figured I would post a question here and see if anyone has any ideas.

Our current setup is something like this:

Cisco 4507R Core Switch -----> MS Windows 2003 Server (DHCP, DNS, WINS) VLAN 100

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10 ----> MS Windows 2003 Server (Rapport) VLAN 10 -
Static IP

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10 ---> Wyse Thin Client VLAN 10 - DHCP IP

The Thin Client gets a DHCP address no problem.  When it comes to getting
anything from the Rapport Server is where the problems come in.  The Thin
Client can be rebooted and polled from the Rapport server but when trying to
push or pull an image nothing really goes through.  The Thin Client will reboot
when an image is pushed or pulled, but it never finds the image on the server.
From what we gathered with Wyse, using Ethereal, that the thin client is
sending the request to the server, but nothing is coming back.

They are thinking something in our network is blocking it.  We have no access
lists or anything on the switches that I could see would be "blocking" the 4011
port.  Of course they have no ideas for us as of things to check or
configuration changes that need to be changed

Any ideas on this?

http://www.star.net.uk

Hazlewoods LLP - Chartered Accountants and Business Advisers

Offices in Cheltenham Tel 01242 237661, Gloucester Tel 01452 634800 and
Staverton Tel 01242 680000.

Members: Harvey Grove FCA FCCA  Andrew Brookes FCA  Jon Cartwright FCCA ATII
TEP  Nick Dee ACA  Tony Flambard FCCA David Granger FCA FCCA  Jonathan Harvie
FCA  David Main FCCA Christopher Mourton FCCA  David Pierce FCA FCCA  Adrian
Randle FCA FCCA TEP  Graham Rew FCA  Philip Swan FCA ATII  Norman Webber FCCA
David Williams FCA

Website www.hazlewoods.co.uk.

Registered by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to
carry out company audit work.
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Registered in England. Partnership No: OC311817
DISCLAIMER:
The contents of this Email and attachments are confidential to the ordinary
user(s) of the Email address(es) to which it was sent and may be legally
privileged.
Hazlewoods LLP accepts no responsibility for the content of this Email, or the
actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information
is subsequently agreed in writing.
Also had a very similar problem here when evaluatiing wyse products earlier this summer.

We were using a Windows 2003 ftp server to host our images.  It turned out that Wyse's documentation was incorrect.  They had not used the correct directory name for storing files on the ftp server.  The correct directory name should have been Wyse.

>>> evandewars@xxxxxxxxx 01/12/2005 15:47:17 >>>
Have you added an ip-helper entry for the Rapport server?  Even though it's on the same vlan it may be worth a shot.

On 12/1/05, Craig Gauss < gaucra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We are having a heck of a problem getting our Rapport server to talk to the thin clients on our network.  Wyse support keeps wanting to place the blame on the network.  I figured I would post a question here and see if anyone has any ideas.

Our current setup is something like this:

Cisco 4507R Core Switch -----> MS Windows 2003 Server (DHCP, DNS, WINS) VLAN 100

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10 ----> MS Windows 2003 Server (Rapport) VLAN 10 - Static IP

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10

Cisco 3550 Switch VLAN 10 ---> Wyse Thin Client VLAN 10 - DHCP IP

The Thin Client gets a DHCP address no problem.  When it comes to getting anything from the Rapport Server is where the problems come in.  The Thin Client can be rebooted and polled from the Rapport server but when trying to push or pull an image nothing really goes through.  The Thin Client will reboot when an image is pushed or pulled, but it never finds the image on the server.  From what we gathered with Wyse, using Ethereal, that the thin client is sending the request to the server, but nothing is coming back.