[THIN] Can someone please confirm odd MHT printing behavior with Win2k8r2, XA 6.5 and IE 9?

  • From: TSguy92 Lan <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:27:46 -0800

Hi there list,

Our users have identified a bizarre issue, that Citrix support has so far
snubbed me on, but I've been able to recreate it on a brand new system and
I'm hopeing that someone here can also recreate it.

To recreate the error please do the following:

- build a brand new windows 2008 r2 64 bit system.
- install xenapp 6.5
     - apply RU1
     - (i haven't yet tested this issue with the hotfixes released after
RU1 . .might be worthwhile to do so).
- install office 2010 (32 bit)
- apply all windows updates (including IE 9)
- For Citrix policies for this test system.
   - Universal print driver usage - use universal printing only
   - Universal printing preview preference - use print preview for both
auto and generic printers.
   - Auto-create client printers - auto-create all client printers.
- Create a published desktop for 1 test user.

Here's the test:

- Login to that published desktop as the test user.
- Open up Outlook 2010, open an existing e-mail.
- Save the e-mail in MHT format.
- Close Outlook.
- Browse to where the MHT was saved, and open it (it should by default open
with Internet Explorer).
- Print the MHT file to a session connected printer.

Our staff have taken to calling this problems the "wingdings" issue,
because their print jobs are getting this bizarre font output.

The strange stuff to me from all the testing I've done on this problem:

- If I use a third party printing solution like (screwdrivers) in place of
Citrix printing the printing issue still occurs.
- If these same tests are done over RDP, the print jobs work normally.
- If the MHT file is opened with Word, it prints correctly.
- If IE 9 is removed from the system (or never installed) it prints
correctly.

We have as yet to identify any IE 9 security setting which can be modified
to allow MHT files to print correctly. (other than disabling CSS)

From what I've seen I'm unsure if this is a problem I need to be pursuing
further with Citrix support, or contacting Microsoft support on.

What I would most love at this point from you dear listies . . is
ratification that I'm not crazy and that this problem is repeatable.

If anyone can confirm this problem / offer additional suggestions for
solutions (we're looking at removing IE 9 from our build at this point) it
would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year all,

Lan