[THIN] Auto update of the web client

  • From: "Mark" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 07:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to get our server (Win2k sp2 XPe sp1/fr1) to do the auto
client update -
starting with a fresh install of win2k pro I install the 985 web client. I
then logon to a server with the auto client update running (set to update
to the web 1050 version) The client update is set to ask the user.  Upon
login, it asks the user, update in the background and continue working or
finish updating.  When I select background update it does it's thing,
tells me it is done, and then asks if I want to disconnect and use the new
client.  I say no and logoff normally it then tells me that a pending
update needs to complete.  It then gives me an update error -
"An error occurred saving previous version of
c:\progra~1\citrix\icaweb32\wfica.ocx to
c:\progra~1\citrix\icaweb32\c:\progra~1\citrix\icaweb32\backup\wfica.ocx.
Do you wish to proceed?"   retry or cancel  (the path is what is exactly
in the dialog box)
retry does nothing (you can click it till the cows come home, the dialog
box just keeps appearing)  So you are forced to click cancel.
Log back on to the server and you get the dialog that says:

"There is a new version of your ICA client available, but it cannot be
downloaded while and update is in progress.
If an update is not already in progress or this message persistes with
future connections, please consult your system administrator."
(ok button is all that is there)

so I reboot - log back on to the server - same message.

So I try to logon with the 985 PN - it prompts to update, downloads the
files, and then prompts to disconnect and reconnect with the new version,
I select yes, and amazingly enough it worked.
9x clients exhibit the same behaviour.

any suggestions?