[THIN] Re: Anywhere Access security

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:34:32 +0100

counter question, why have Citrix released secure gateway? :)

I don't really know why MS have released this, i presume just to compete with
Citrix and the fact that vpns arent the simplest of things for users to get up
and going i guess..

ooh, i guess it could also be useful for those who need access to rdp in locked
down locations? currently (i think) you can only hit rdp servers directly,
meaning the port has to be open to the internet.. We bandied about this earlier
in the year and came to the concisive conclusion that opening the ports
directly may or may not present a security risk now or in the future :)
(although that was for Citrix ports, but id imagine it holds true for TS too)

Andrew
--o--

>>> nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 13/07/04 10:13:57 >>>
Point taken,(And understood :)) regarding higher than 128-bit.

Ok, let's try the question another way; why are MS bothering to release
this  (And position it against VPNs) if it does not provide more
security than currently (The implication being that you currently
*cannot* "allow users to securely access ... Resources...without using
VPN technology"). My bottom-line question is: is RDP currently not
considered secure? By MS or anyone else?

Nick