[THIN] 4GB Limit and the ADM Opteron

  • From: "Timothy Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:08:50 -0500

Following up on an earlier thread.

I had a nice chat with folks from AMD yesterday regarding the question on
kernel memory limitations on the 32/64 Opteron with the upcoming OS.  You
may recall previous posts on the list wondering what the limitations on this
would be for the TS environment - i.e. how high can you scale if memory is
your current limiting factor.  In many cases it is the shared kernel memory
(or at least space for PTEs in the kernel space) that becomes the limiting
factor.

The best I could get out of the AMD folks is that it "scales a lot higher".
To tell the truth, AMD is concentrating on the 32/64 feature and probably
don't know the answers.  Perhaps Claudio, Ron, or other MVPs could pester
the MS folks while they are out west.

I continue to try to find some hardware to test against, but it may take a
while.

tim

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.
consulting services you can depend on.