[TheNoir] "Where There's Smoke..."

  • From: Isabella Valentine <wistful_fancy_noir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:54:23 -0800 (PST)

Where There's Smoke...
By Rem Hathaway, Jawi Pax, and Isabella Valentine

Rem was moved well into giddiness when the matter/anti-matter reaction chamber
increased its activity. The heart of the ship was thrumming along nicely. As he
stared transfixed, the corridor doors hissed open. Without turning to look he
sighed, "Isn't it beautiful?"

"If you say so," Bella said, walking into engineering. She stopped and stared
at the back of Rem's head waiting for him to turn his attention on her. When he
didn't, she added, "Well, I'm here. What do you want?"

Rem turned to look at her. "A lot goes on in engineering. When the ship is
active there needs to be more than just a single engineer in here. I'm offering
you a job that not only has tons more responsibility than most people your age
get, but as my second, you would have added authority when inside engineering.
And have you noticed that not many people come through here, like the captain
and Micah?" He slid a seat out and looked at her for a response.

Bella narrowed her eyes. He was prying. "None of your business, Luke," she
said. "I asked what you want me to do."

Rem stood up sharply. "Actually, it is. You might be a teenager, but you're
part of a crew now. If you're going to play with adults you will behave as one.
Your petty fucking bullshit is affecting everyone around you and needs to be
shelved 'til you're off-duty. You got kicked off the bridge because you were
creating a bad environment. I'm giving you a chance to chill out." Rem took a
breath. "Up til now I've treated you like an adult, but aside from flirting
with me all you wanna do is give me a rash of shit when I do you a favor. The
pissed little girly act stops now."

Bella?s body began to shake as she yelled, "Fuck you and your fuckin' notions
of nobility! You ain't gonna fix a damn thing by yellin' at me - I've had
enough of that shit, okay? I came here 'cause you needed help, but I ain't
listening to your fuckin' comments on my personal life." She glared at him,
eyes burning with the heat of a thousand suns. She had had enough.

Didn't anyone in this world understand the shit she was going through right
now? Instead of talking, they just yelled. Everyone was yelling. Bella's
heart-rate was accelerated and her face was flushed. Her chest was heaving as
she tried to catch her breath.

Rem wasted no time responding. "Yelling? I haven't raised my voice yet. What's
wrong with you?" Rem frowned, she was reacting far worse than her usual hissy
fit. "Follow me," his tone lowered several notches, "Now. Computer, summon Jawi
to Sickbay immediately." Rem led her into the corridor.

"Just...let me catch... my breath," she said, starting to calm down. Bella had
never experienced such a reaction before and it scared enough to try and relax,
though she was still shaking as she nearly hyperventilated.

Rem's voice softened. "Okay, but only for a moment, we're still going to
sickbay. There's more going on with you than your usual theatrics, and we're
going to find out what it is." His communicator chirped.

"Jawi to Hathaway."

Rem tapped his communicator. "Hey Doc, I'll be in sickbay momentarily. Bella's
having a panic attack, maybe worse. I'd like for you to check her over."

"Okay, I'll probably beat you there. Jawi out."

Rem continued down the corridor with Bella in tow. "Come on, she'll give you
something to calm you."

"I'm fine," she said quietly, tears beginning to form in her eyes. "You need to
stay in engineering." She wiped at the water spilling over her lashes and onto
her flushed and burning cheeks.

Rem lead her out of the turbolift. "Don't argue with your department head,
Bella. Besides, we're already here," he said as they walked through the
entrance to sickbay.

Jawi looked up as they entered. She smiled at Bella. "Hello, Isabella, why
don't you sit down on this bed and I'll be with you in a moment?"

"I'm fine. I just got out of breath is all." Her manner was still defiant, but
her attitude had subsided in her fear. She looked at Rem and it was obvious she
was scared.

Rem looked towards Bella as Jawi led him into her office. "Sit down, Bella."

When he stepped into her office, Jawi looked at him expectantly. Rem took a
breath and began. "Well, doctor, she arrived from the bridge all huffy, but
she's typically got an attitude problem. When I told her to cool her jets she
started crying and shaking. She's kinda young for the responsibilities she has,
so I thought you could give her a quick look-over, maybe counsel her on stress
management."

Jawi nodded.

"Also, just F.Y.I., she probably hasn't had anything near to even a check-up
for years."

Jawi looked at Bella through the glass partition. "Sure, I'll look her over. I
guess you need to get back to engineering?"

Rem nodded. "Yeah, I really do."

Jawi gestured towards the door. "I'll handle it from here, then. Have a good
day, Mr. Hathaway." Rem made a gesture of tipping a hat as he went out the door.

Jawi waited until Rem was gone, then turned to face Bella. Nodding at the now
closed door, she said, "He told me what happened but I'd like to hear what you
think."

Bella shrugged. "I dunno. It just felt like my heart started racing and I
couldn't breathe. But it went away pretty fast. I feel fine." She spoke quietly
and it was obvious she was still a little shaken.

"Well, why don't I just check you over anyway? Come on, lie back and let's see
what this computer has to say," Jawi said.

Bella complied. Her thoughts, her emotions were whirling at speeds she had
never experienced before and she was too numb to do anything but listen to the
Orion. They had only met briefly when she had come aboard, but the fact she
seemed confident was somehow soothing.

Jawi breathed out in annoyance at the computer. There were some doctors who
based everything on a machine's say so. She wasn't one of them. "You know, this
is just a preliminary run through. Why don't you sit up now and let me ask you
some things?" Jawi said as she moved the diagnostic panel back. "Before
anything else, though, I want you to calm down. Take a deep breath or two and
let it out slowly."

Bella sat up and nearly rolled her eyes at Jawi, but caught herself. She took a
breath and then let it out, looking at her expectantly.

Jawi shook her head and smiled slightly. "Some how that expression looks better
on you than it ever did on my son. Which leads me to this..how old are you?"

"Seventeen next month."

Jawi nodded knowingly. Still at that age, she told herself. "A bit older than
him but close enough. I've met a lot of young Humans but there is one thing
that applies to people your age throughout any species. You all have hormones
that are in flux. Those can really mess up your emotional equilibrium."

Bella just gave her a deadpan look, wishing this were over already. She didn't
need another speech about being a teenager.

"I know that look, too," Jawi said dyly. "Fortunately, you're also a lot more
mature than he was. Must be a female thing. But..." She paused to make sure she
had Bella's attention. "you also have a lot on your plate, don't you? Nothing
is too stable, is it?"

She shrugged again. "Since when is anything?"

"Very true," Jawi replied with a nod. "The lack of stability, though, can cause
all kinds of physical manifestations. Hypertension, digestive upsets, rashes,
respiratory problems...you get the picture. Add that together with not being
quite done growing up and it's a powerful mix."

"Okay..." Bella intoned, as if saying, 'Get to the point so I can get the hell
outta here.'

"So you need to learn to recognize the signs of an impending panic attack and
head them off at the pass before one takes over completely. It can have some
bad results if it happens at the wrong time," Jawi said pointedly.

"So, what should I do then?"

"There are certain medications you can use on an as-needed basis, but why not
try self- help? You need to take some of that built up stress, which is there
even if you can't see it, and focus its energy into something to release it.
The Vulcans are fond of meditation but that doesn't suit everyone. Try physical
activities if you don't care for meditation."

Bella crinkled her nose at "physical activities". Her idea of exercise was
moving her fingers over a console. "Okay, can I go now? I feel better."

"No. First tell me what you're actually going to do about this," Jawi stated.
She knew when she was being ignored by a kid.

"Uh...I'll think about it. I dunno yet." Then feeling beligerent, she added,
"Maybe sex. That's good exercise." Bella never had a mother figure in her life
and she wondered if this is what they were like. Jawi certainly talked about
her kid enough.

Jawi laughed outright. "That it is. Although, if that's your favorite physical
exercise, I'm sure you know what measures to take so that you don't end up with
any unwanted results."

Bella rolled her eyes and gave her a look that was a mixture of, 'You're
kidding me, right?' and 'I can't believe we're having this conversation.' "I'm
pretty sure I can figure it out," she sniped. "Can I go now?"

Jawi picked a hypo and carefully adjusted its dosage before pressing it to
Bella's neck. "This will take a few minutes to take effect," she stated, "And I
want you to take this pre-loaded vial for just in case."

"What is it?"

"Xenexadrine, a mild sedative for Humans. Don't worry--I'm certified to treat
more than a few species."

"So, now can I go?"

"Yes, but why not take a few hours off until you settle down a bit more? And I
may call you back to run some more tests," Jawi told her. "By the way, if you
have any questions, call me. You wouldn't believe what I can figure out."

"Sure," Bella said, hopping off the bed. "If you haven't noticed...we just took
off. And we have a skeleton crew. So, unless you know computers or some
engineering crap...I'm goin' back to work."

"Fine, but I'll be telling Rem you should take a breather. He may not be too
pleased if he has to bring you back here because of a relapse." She said it
firmly but not unkindly. "An attack at the wrong time could be disastrous."

"I'll be fine!" Bella snapped. "Why is everyone always lecturing me or yelling
at me about one fuckin' thing or another! Why can't anyone just listen to me?
Or trust me to know what I'm doing?" Throwing her head back in exasperation,
she took a deep breath. "Sorry to have wasted your time, Doc." She headed for
the door.

"I'd be more than happy to listen if you decide to talk rather than spout. The
door's always open."

Bella ignored her as she walked out the door and headed back to engineering.