[TheNoir] Re: The Games People Play

  • From: Lrahnluhvoot@xxxxxxx
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:36:49 EST

"The Games People Play"
Alex Rae

She didn't exactly know what this chick's enigma was but Alex wasn't about to
play any games with her, and after what she did to Bella if this troubled
psycho crossed her path she sure as hell wasn't going to pull any punches.  She
point blank told Harrison and M.E. what she thought about it but it seems the
two were on the same page, almost as if this Anita character had some sort of
devil spell in her that she was able to wield at will, confusing the minds of
those she "played" with and caused them stupid.  While they sat back in the
observation lounge lazily sipping the hard stuff Harrison kept reminding her
that
M.E. didn't give either of them any authorization to do this woman any harm.

He would look at her now and again in the dim lighting of the room and raise
his brow as if to say, "do you get my meaning...are we on the same page", and
so she would smile and nod.  All the while, of course, going over a hundred
different scenarios in her head of chance encounters with this psycho and how
she would handle it.

"Hey, there is another problem we have to discuss."

Alex rolled her eyes and instead of sipping filled a shot glass and gulped
and then wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.  "Huh?"

Harrison looked over and motioned at the doors at the giant Klingon standing
there taking up the whole space.  The warrior was stock still and staring
straight ahead, seemingly oblivious to anything and anybody.  He was a statue.

Alex sighed.  "I already told you there is nothing I can do about it.  You
know how they are.  One life for another.  Until he saves my be-hind he's not
going anywhere.  Get used to it because he's going to be a permanent fixture."

Harrison squared his shoulders back.  Alex could tell that he was seething
inside.  She wanted to laugh.  "Just think.  We have help with the baby."

"Oh, and how do you figure that one?"

She chuckled softly.  "Well, the baby is an extension of myself.  Where I go,
he goes.  And, where the baby goes, he goes."

Harrison looked the Klingon up and down and then at the baby sleeping soundly
in her pram next to them.  "And, what if the two of you are in different
places?", he smiled.

Alex cleared her throat and took his hand in hers.  "Well, that is something
that I've been meaning to break to you."

"Alex..."

Alex licked her lips and poured him a shot and then reached over and put it
into his hands.  "M.E. gave him an alternative", she said.  "It was either to
be jettisoned off the ship into the wild black nothing or he could be the
baby's nanny and since he won't leave my side, that means he's coming with us
on
all the mission...with the baby."

Harrison jumped up spilling the Vodka and Whiskey onto the floor.  "What?
What in the damn..."

The Klingon suddenly came to life and growled under his breath taking a step
toward them.  Alex put up her hand.

"Don't worry.  Don't worry, Jim.  It will be fine, really."

Harrison looked at the Klingon and reached for his phaser.  The Klingon
reached for his sword.

"Wow!"  Alex stepped between them and put up her hands.  "Down, boys.  Down.
Let's not get excited, here."  Alex looked at their hard expressions and read
a world of animosity but not hatred, not yet, at least.  She knew she could
back them down.  She softened her approach and purred her supplication.  "We
all just want the same thing here, right.  Harrison, you want the baby safe,
and
me.  And, K'lor, you just want the right to give back a life for a life.  It
will all work out.  Let's just take it one day at a time, okay?"

Harrisons fingers slightly twitched off his trigger and the Klingon took one
step back, although not yet sheathing his sword.  Alex's heart pumped in her
chest from adrenalin and too much liquor but she began to feel the worry
subside.  Finally the two men backed down and each one glared at the other as
they
took their previous places, Harrison sat back in his chair and her Klingon body
guard re-took his post.

Was there no end to the games people played, she wondered.