[TheNoir] The Chances People Give

  • From: Johnathon Micheals <laughingcorpse07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Noir <thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:00:49 -0800 (PST)

The Chances People Give

By M.E. Nicks and Anita Tessasohn

It seemed that a few hours of sleep were all M.E. were going to get. Anais had
hailed her to let her know that not only did Anita get out of her room, but
that she once again attacked Bella. She really wasn?t going to make keeping her
safe from the crew easy was she?

M.E. thought as she headed down the hall away from sick bay. Bella was ok, she
was beat up pretty bad, but she?d be ok. M.E. could only shake her head. It was
clear that a phaser had been fired, Bella?s phaser, most liked aimed at Anita.
What part of ?you never threaten a wounded animal? did these people not get?

M.E. went to Anita?s room but she wasn?t really surprised that she wasn?t
there. This time M.E. wasn?t going to play Anita?s game, Anita was going to
play hers. She?d warned the woman that if she were to harm another person on
the ship she?d have to answer for it, and M.E. was going to make sure she
followed through with the promise. She walked down to the security area and
made her way to a back room that only she and Alex knew about.

They?d managed to save a few things they?d liked from the old ship and had put
them there. M.E. unlocked the door and stepped inside. She walked over to a
control panel and started preparing what she would need.

The chair that she and Alex had first beamed Jim into was one of the little
toys they had saved. It was a cruel looking thing and M.E. never did ask Alex
if she knew what the Son?a used it for, but being cruel wasn?t what M.E. had in
mind. "Computer lock onto Anita?s bio-signature and transport her to these
coordinates."

Looking at the needle she just burned, Anita took a closer look. Not good
enough, she placed the needle to the candle lit fire and suddenly found herself
bound to a chair.

Her eyes went wide as she searched the room, she couldn't see anyone yet, maybe
not at all, "What the fuck!? What the fuck are you doing!?"

M.E. made sure the restraints of the chair fastened snuggly around Anita's
wrists, arms, ankles, legs, thighs, chest, and forehead. There was no way for
the woman to move or to hurt herself is she tried. M.E. wasn?t trying to hurt
her, only show her she meant business. She stayed in the darkness a little
longer and then said, "You beat the shit out of Bella, Anita. I told you not to
harm anyone else on this ship. Now I understand she fired at you first, but you
should have come to me. So you?ve bought yourself a time out."

"Fuck the time out, Maureen. She had that fucking phaser set to my god damn
head. So don't," Anita struggled violently against the seat but she felt a jolt
of pain to ribs from the struggle, "fucking tell me what to do! Get me the fuck
out of this, or I swear Im going to..."

"What Anita? Kill me? Kill my crew?" M.E. asked as she moved towards her. "Oh I
know. You?ll kill my pet rat, right?" Pulling up a chair M.E. sat right in
front of Anita. Two sets of brown eyes locking. "I told you to stay in your
quarters, and you picked the lock. You went to sick bay knowing Bella was there
when I told you Anais would come and look at your wounds. You beat up a member
of my crew when you should have come to me. Your not making it easy for me to
keep you safe, Anita."

Anita clenched her jaw, "you listen to me real good, Maureen. She. Aimed.
That," Anita's voice went higher with each word, "Phaser. To. My. HEAD! And Im
suppose to fucking run out the room while she aims that shit again and shoots
me!? What fucking point would that have been if she managed a second shot!?"
She desperately tried to move her hands, finding her wrist bound tightly
enough. Struggling with her restraints again, she thought she heard the seat
making a sound, but it didn't do anything for her.

"The more you struggle the tighter the restraints. I?d relax if I were you."
M.E. offered. "You didn?t have to beat her so badly. You could have disarmed
her. Decked her once or twice. What you did was extreme and uncalled for. You
need to learn rain it in a little." M.E. reached out and brushed some of the
hair Anita had caused to fall into her face, out of her eyes.

"Bullshit, she got what she deserved threatening me with that phaser." Anita
took a breath, her anger was spewing so much, she couldn't think clearly.
Slowly she articulated, "Get me out of this."

M.E. watched the anger flare in Anita's eyes. "No, your time out isn?t up." She
told her as she trailed her finger tips down Anita?s cheek. "I told you that
you?d have to start answering to me." M.E. traced the curve of Anita?s lip
which could have being dangerous since the woman could have bitten her, but she
didn?t. "Have you given any thought to what I said last night?"

"I picked the lock, what do you think? Did you think you can keep me in and do
as you say? Do you really expect me to respond 'how high' every time you say
'jump'?" Anita glared at her, trying to ignore the light touch of Maureen's
fingers. It was a distraction, and both of them knew it. Taking a moment to
compose herself, she found that cold place she was familiar with. And right
now, she'd say what Maureen might want to hear- as long as it got her out of
her restraints, "I did think about it."

"I don?t expect you to suddenly become some submissive creature who jumps at my
every whim. That wouldn?t be who you are." M.E. explained. She knew that she
confused Anita, she was handing her something no one had ever bothered to give
her. "It?s just that you need to stop putting my people in sick bay and stop
playing so many mind games. You?ve played at them for so long you?ve twisted
yourself up."

M.E. paused a moment. She looked at the woman across from her with a
seriousness and warmth in her eyes and her expression. "Don?t tell me what you
think I want to hear, Anita. Tell me what my offer really made you feel."

Anita's eyes were bigger, shock that hit her. She pulled her training back,
sending walls up so fast she could've sworn she saw Maureen close her eyes,
"Don't ever. Ever. Get into my head." Anita said quietly, "You don't want to be
there. That much, you don't want from me, Maureen." She considered her next
answer, making sure Maureen couldn't read her, "Your offer. It threw me for a
loop."

"I know." M.E. nearly laughed at the anger she watched flash in the other
woman?s eyes. "I didn?t need my telepathy to know that, Anita. You?d be
surprised how much I understand on my own." M.E. reached out and played with
Anita's fingers. She was fully aware of the reaction her soft caresses had on
Anita, she only wondered if Anita knew or even cared about the reactions she
caused in M.E. "When was the last time you had a place to call home, Anita,
before you sank so deeply into the darkness?"

Her eyes had gazed down at the woman's attentiveness to Anita's finger. She
looked up, head not moving more than a centimeter, "Why? Why would you care?"
Anita attempted a shrug but she looked forward, not at Maureen. "It's a long
story. One I don't have any particular care to talk about."

"There was a man, Rodger McMiller, he was a handler with Section. He didn?t
like telepaths much, he disliked being told no even more. He ripped my life
literally right from my body." M.E. said as she looked into Anita?s eyes
showing her the way they changed when she thought about what had happened.

"A friend of mine and I arranged to have him killed and then watched it happen.
It felt good to watch him burn." M.E. stopped talking, allowing Anita to see
more then she allowed anyone to see of her. No one out side of Cervin, Alex,
and her brother Lucas had ever seen it before.

Anita looked at her eyes, "And so you think your little past history is going
to open me up? Do you wanna know that bad? Huh? Are you really that interested
in knowing?" Her eyes sank back, faster than most could react to. Brown eyes
couldn't emit cold attitudes, but Anita's didn't just emit, it frosted her
pupils.

M.E. saw the change in Anita?s eyes and it sent a chill down her spin, but she
didn?t allow Anita any sign it had effected her. "Only if you want to tell me,
Anita. I?m not here to be your therapist. God I couldn?t stand that nosy ass
Troi bitch. I am willing to be, I want to be your friend." M.E. moved her hand
away from Anita?s. "So why did my offer send you for a loop?"

"Maybe you need a refresher, I'm not exactly on people's good list these days.
It's pretty obvious when someone wants me dead." Anita looked at her, "Not that
I'm not there already."

"I don?t want you dead, Anita, I rather like having you around." M.E. smiled at
her warmly. "You certainly keep my life interesting."

"Then let me out of this."

M.E. smiled again as she got up out of her chair and then walked over to Anita.
She ran her fingers through Anita?s mass of unruly blonde hair and lowered
herself into the other woman?s lap. She traced the out line of her lips softly
and then kissed her hard. When she pulled back from the kiss she wiped her lip
stick from Anita?s lips. "Say please and that?s you?ll try harder not to make
so many enemies on this ship and I?ll think about it. I?m not asking you to
make friends with everyone, just stop physically hurting them. Especially
Bella."

"Im not going to do the first," Anita looked at her, "but I will try... and
stop provoking them. Especially that bitch.

A devilish spark lit up M.E.'s eyes. "Oh I think I can make you say please,
eventually." She smiled as she stood. She leaned down and looked Anita in the
eyes again. "All I ask is that you try. Ya know you never did tell me how
exactly my offer sent you for a loop?"

Anita smiled, "you'll just have to find out later. Won't you, dear?"

"Oh believe me my friend, I will find out what I want to know, and I?m more
then willing to wait until your ready to tell me." M.E. leaned in really close
and whispered into Anita?s ear. "I believe in you, Anita. I only ask that
you?ll learn you can believe in me too some time."

M.E. kissed Anita softly this time and then walked back over to the control
panel and released the restraints. "I?m sending you back to your quarters. You
should try and get some sleep. Oh and when you get the chance you can replace
the vials you took from sick bay."

"When I'm done, Maureen." The woman was starting to have an effect on her and
she didn't like it. Too much. Getting up from her seat in one smooth motion,
she walked towards the door. She wouldn?t move past that exit as Maureen tapped
a few commands, and transported her to the galley.