[TheNoir] "Imbalance"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:25:35 -0800 (PST)

Imbalance
By Isabella Valentine, featuring Anais Adarah

Bella watched Shane walk out of the room with disbelief.  What the hell had
just happened?  He had went from caring to an almost coolness towards her that
she didn't understand.  Serves me right, she thought again.  She knew that she
shouldn't care.  But dammit, she did.  And it hurt.  A tear slipped down her
cheek.

Anais, walked out of the office in the back.  "Why are you sitting up?"  she
asked quietly.  "You need to lie down.  Rest.  Regain your strength."  She
gently pushed Bella back into a supine pose.  "Are you in pain?" she asked,
spying Bella's tears.

"From this," she placed her hand over her stomach, "not really.  A different
kind of pain."

Anais ran a tricorder over her patient and then checked her abdomen.  "Feels
bruised, right?  But no searing pain?"

"Just sore," Bella said, grimacing as Anais prodded gently.

"And emotionally, you're fluctuating, aren't you?  Anger, sorrow, feelings of
love...it's all mixed up, isn't it?"

"How did you-," Bella started to ask.

"Scanned your blood for replacement.  Serotonin levels were almost
non-existent.  How long you had this problem?"

Bella sighed.  Well, it saved her from having to come and ask for meds.  "I've
known for about seven years.  Took a long time to find the right meds to adjust
it."

"Easy to balance Serotonin, but hard to cause the body to produce it.  What did
you take?"

"Kytorex Blue-45."

Anais nodded.  "I don't have any.  It's not something we'd normally keep."

"I know."

"I can start trying new stuff if you want.  But I'm sure you know it can get
worse before it gets better."

Bella closed her eyes remembering the turbulent time in her life.  One drug
would cause her to sleep for days, whereas the next would keep her awake.  Some
made it worse, mood swings wise.  She gained weight, she lost weight.  She had
temper tantrums.  She entered severe depression.  It was not something she
wanted to repeat.

When Bella didn't say anything, Anais told her, "The choice is yours.  Is there
anyone I can contact for medical records?  Who was your doctor?"

"Jawi Pax.  And no.  She's dead," Bella said, a little more bitterly than she
intended.

"Then we'll start over if you want.  In the meantime, make connections.  You
know what I mean.  The more you interact with people, the better off you are.
How long have you been off the medication?"

"About six months."

"And the symptoms have been around about four, right?  But are getting
progressively worse?"

Bella nodded.

"Your body most likely began working in tandem with the drug to start producing
better on its own.  You probably weren't relying on the medication for awhile,
but nature took over again."

Bella didn't know what to say.  She was only half-way listening, still looping
the previous few minutes with Shane.  What had changed and why?

"Well," Anais patted her hand and offered a small reassuring smile, "you can
leave here tomorrow, as long as you feel up to it.  I would suggest getting
your friend to look after you though.  Your blood count isn't quite where it
should be and you'll feel tired for awhile.  You'll have to stop in here every
so often for some iron injections.  But you're going to be just fine."

"Thanks," Bella mumbled half-heartedly.  Anais retreated back to her office.
She was keeping an all night vigil for her patient.  Not that she was so
worried about her, Bella's wounds weren't a threat any longer.  She was more
worried about the insane woman on deck six somehow coming to finish what she
started.