[the-facts-machine] The iPhone battery case and lightning doc.

  • From: Richard McKinley <mcfurbie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 02:14:59 -0600

This document will explain the Smart battery case and Lightning doc from Apple.
I will also give my thoughts, pros and cons.
The smart battery case.
The smart battery case is made of silicone. The battery is on the back of the
case and protrudes out a little. Battery measurements', 2.75 x 3.75. Inside
of the case is a microfiber surface. This will allow the phone to slide in the
case easily. A large porsion of the back of the case is taken up by the
battery. The battery is enclosed in the silicone. At the top right of the
back of the case is a rectangle slot for the camera lenz. On the upper right
side of the case is a raised rubber button which covers the power button. On
the left side of the case is a hole for the mute switch. Below that, are two
raised rubber volume buttons. At the bottom of the case is the lightning port
for charging the battery. Inside the case at the bottom in the center, is the
lightning plug that plugs in to the phone. Next to the lightning port is a
hole for the headphone jack.
Inserting the phone in to the battery case.
The part of the battery case above the battery is flexable. More so than the
rest of the case. To insert the phone, start with the bottom of the phone at
the top of the battery case. Press the edges of the phone down until it goes
in the case and about an inch or so of the phones edges are covered. You'll
know by the feel of the sides of the case covering a little of the phones
edges. Now, slide the phone down as far as you can. Then work the top lip of
the battery case over the top edge of the phone. Your all set. The battery
case is now pluged in to your phone.
How the phone and battery case work together.
The phone will use the power from the external battery first. Keeping the
phones internal battery charged. Once the external battery is drained, the
phone will then use the internal battery.
My thoughts.
I have tested the battery case for a few days and I like it. I've done several
things during the day. FaceBook, Writing, reading and listened to some audio
including several videos. I've taken the phone off of the charger between 07:00
AM and 08:00 AM and put it back on the charger around 08:00 PM. I still had
between 37 and 57 percent charge in the external battery. Which means, I
haven't started using the internal phone battery since I put the battery case
on the phone. Of course, this will depend on what you use the phone for and
how long.
Pros.
Over all, I'm very pleased with the battery case. It really does increase
battery time between charges. However I charge my phone at the end of each
day. Of course that's up to people to decide for themselves. I like the way
the case feels in my hand. The silicone gives me a better hold on the phone.
Cons.
Since the case is silicone, hair, dust and other particles will cling to it. I
just brush it off. The hole for the headphone jack is only large enough for
the Apple ear pods to plug in. To use any other headphones, you have to take
the case off. I don't recommend doing that. You can also use bluetooth
headphones or purchase the lightning doc wich I'll cover later in this
document. Rumor has it, Apple's doing away with the standard 3.5 MM headphone
jack in the next iPhone. So as far as I'm concerned, the pros outweigh the
cons for me with the battery case. I do recommend getting a screen protector
for the phone. I got a tempered glass screen protector since it's easier for a
totally blind person to put on. The battery case fits, iPhone 6 and 6S.
The iPhone lightning doc.
As I mentioned earlier, you can purchase the lightning doc. The lightning doc
is very small. .25 inches thick, 2 inches wide and 2.75 inches long. On the
top in the center of one edge, is the lightning prong. On the bottom is a
rubber pad so the doc doesn't slide. On one edge is the lightning port for the
cable. Next to that is the 3.5 MM headphone plug. Any cord or headphones with
a 3.5 MM jack will work in the lightning doc. This is nice if you have the
battery case since you can use any headphones without removing the phone from
the case.
Plugging the lightning doc in to the iPhone.
You can use the lightning charging doc with any i device that has a lightning
port. I recommend picking up the doc and plugging it in to the i device. Then
setting everything down. I tried setting my iPhone on the doc but didn't like
doing it that way. Each individual will figure out what works best for them.
Battery drainage.
I've covered the battery case and lightning doc. Now a few tips for conserving
battery charge.
#1.Turn bluetooth off when your not using it.
#2.Select which apps you want to refresh in background or turn off background
app refresh.
#3.Totally blind people can go to display and brightness and turn off auto.
Then set brightness to zero. If needed, you can manually adjust brightness in
control center. These things will help with battery drainage. You can learn
more about the battery case and lightning doc by downloading the Apple store
app or visiting Apples website. You can also stop in any Apple store and look
at these items.