[the-facts-machine] All the Original IPV4 Internet Addresses Will be Gone This Summer

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 23:09:40 -0400

BlankAll the Internet addresses will be gone by the summer (NEWSER) Engineers
who created 4.3 billion Internet Protocol addresses back in 1981 probably
thought that by the time we ran through all those, we'd be puttering around in
flying cars. Flying cars are going to be a while , but it looks like our IP
numbers are finally up: The American Registry for Internet Numbers, the group
that hands out the numerical codes, says there are only 3.4 million IPv4
addresses left, and the group's president says the supply will probably dry up
by summer, the Wall Street Journal reports. Major companies like Amazon and
Microsoft are scooping up remaining addresses while they can, while others such
as Facebook decided to bite the bullet and simply upgrade to the newer IPv6
system (IPv5 never really took hold). It's not exactly an online End Times, as
dire as it sounds: Asia depleted its supply of IPv4 addresses in 2011, Europe
the following year, the Journal notes. And there's quite a bit of capacity
under the newer IPv6 systemit can accommodate up to 340 undecillion (340
followed by 36 zeros) addresses. The main obstacle to upgrading right now seems
to be the expense, not resistance to more advanced technology: A companywide
migration can cost about 7% of the firm's annual IT budget, per research cited
in theJournal. To see if your Internet connection supports IPv6 and/or check
out IPv6-only websites, Slate points you toward the
Test-IPv6.com
site . (We haven't exactly been blindsided with this news , either.)

GIF image