[texbirds] thousands of longspurs, Castro County

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 19:03:11 -0600

TexBirders,

 Tad and I encountered a mixed flock of thousands of longspurs in a snowy
field along FM 168 at its intersection with FM 1068 in Castro County while
driving south from Amarillo today. The flock contained McCown's, Lapland,
and Chestnut-collared Longspurs. We stopped to scope them and watched in
amazement as more and more came to join the ones already on the ground. We
watched them until we got too cold (it was 15 degrees) and then proceeded
south on FM 168. Along the half mile stretch of FM 168 just south of FM
1068 we saw several more very large flocks of longspurs but did not stop to
scope them. The fields in this area are all snow covered and these were the
only ones we encountered that did not have tall vegetation. The snow
clearly concentrated the birds so once it warms up and the snow melts they
will probably disperse again.

 Sue

 Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm