[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] South Padre Island, 4/17/12

  • From: Dan Jones <antshrike1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:22:04 -0500

Despite the frontal passage, birding was slow this morning at South Padre
Island.  Just a few orioles, buntings, grosbeaks and some warblers.  Best
bird was a Western Tanager at Sheepshead.  About a 1000 Franklin's Gulls
were on the ground behind the convention center.  I got fed up with banging
elbows with the fair weather warbler watchers and tripping over the tripods
of the wannabe nature photographers so I left at noon although things seemed
to be picking up at that point. This evening about 250 Mississippi Kites
were circling over Frontera Audubon Thicket in Weslaco.

South Padre Island, Cameron, US-TX
Apr 17, 2012 8:00 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
67 species

Red-breasted Merganser  5
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Brown Pelican  X
Great Blue Heron  1
Reddish Egret  1
Cattle Egret  5
Peregrine Falcon  1
Black-bellied Plover  5
Wilson's Plover  1
Semipalmated Plover  3
American Avocet  10
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Willet  20
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
Marbled Godwit  3
Ruddy Turnstone  15
Sanderling  25
Least Sandpiper  3
Dunlin  10
Short-billed Dowitcher  25
Laughing Gull  X
Franklin's Gull  1000
Least Tern  10
Royal Tern  X
Sandwich Tern  X
Black Skimmer  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Eurasian Collared-Dove  X
White-winged Dove  X
Mourning Dove  X
Inca Dove  X
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Great Kiskadee  2
Western Kingbird  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Bank Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  100
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Swainson's Thrush  1
Gray Catbird  1
Northern Mockingbird  X
European Starling  X
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Tennessee Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  3
Magnolia Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  1
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Wilson's Warbler  2
Savannah Sparrow  3
Lincoln's Sparrow  3
Summer Tanager  5
Western Tanager  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  6
Blue Grosbeak  5
Indigo Bunting  15
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Great-tailed Grackle  X
Brown-headed Cowbird  X
Orchard Oriole  5
Baltimore Oriole  8
House Sparrow  X

Dan Jones, Weslaco

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds