[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Mistimed Galveston to Anahuac loop today but 2 pairs of tropical kingbirds now at A&M

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 19:48:33 -0500

I did the loop around the east bay counterclockwise today so that I could
have a good look at the loons before any boat traffic. They were taking it
easy but on the north end of the bay off around 73rd street right behind
some of the new houses with tall fences and I could not find any point to
get a look. Too far off from 61st street to tell they were anything but
loons. There were 4 really nicely plumaged eared grebes in closer but they
spent almost all the time underwater.

Stopped at A&M to check on the tropical kingbirds but they played hard to
find. The trees where they tried nesting last year have a large grackle
colony with young so that does not look like a good site. Finally found
them just across the highway from the exit of the A&M parking lot
interacting up on the wires. As I turned the corner, a second pair called
from the oak trees just west of the entrance and both pairs were calling at
the same time. A&M must really be attractive to kingbirds. Could not find
any other migrant among the mulberries but the grackles and mottled ducks
were doing well on them.

Frenchtown Road still had high water but there were several whimbrels on
the road. Coming down 45 through LaMarque I had a flock of say 40 whimbrels
heading north over the highway before sunrise to they are moving. Tides
were high at the jetty and the beach at Bolivar which had lots of gulfweed
but old dry stuff. The high tide had sanderlings roosting in the weed but
most of the shorebirds back in the flats and marsh where they were
periodically disturbed by a single harrier. Lots of birds back there.

Water high too at Bob Road and most of the wet spots of a week ago now dry
on Yacht Basin Road. Flounder running so lots of fishermen at Rollover who
had brought kids who were running around where the shorebirds and terns
normally rest. One pogy boat pulling just offshore east of the pass had
lots of birds following but most seemed already fed and no unusual
followers among them.

Got High Island about 11 which is not a good time but the rookery was
really active and doing well. A very few warblers but more had been seen
earlier. Could not find any wet areas along 1985 but they are preparing a
number of rice fields there and up Pear Orchard Road. Very dusty away from
the pavement.

Anahuac Refuge was a road well traveled and they are already working on the
new loop road around shoveler pond. On the way down to frozen point, the
marsh had large flocks of short-billed dowitchers flying around in great
loops calling madly. Group broke away and headed north and all were gone
when I came back. A couple of american bitterns along the road.

Could not find red-headed woodpeckers, dickcissels etc anywhere and very
few orchard orioles on territory. Need to go clockwise next time and also
check the tide tables before leaving.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds