[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Last week pictures, breeding, molting and other spring signs

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:47:23 -0500

Both at Rollover Pass and Bolivar Flats, the terns, gulls and shorebirds
are into the springtime courtship and moulting into summer colors. The
wilson's plovers are paired and muttering at people or other ploverwho get
to close
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577962

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577956

Western sandpipers have nice breast chevrons and well colored shoulders.
One group on the flats was doing a lot of territorial displays hunched over
with tails raised vertical
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577954

Dunlin are getting breast spots but not much in the way of red backs yet
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577944

One red knot had some new feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577946

But others were still gray. This bird was finding tiny crabs in newly
stranded gulfweed
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577950

Herring gulls are growing new feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578046

One of the franklin's gulls at Rollover has a nice pink tinge to the breast
but my camera does not like to show it well
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578064

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578055

Gull-billed terns are still feeding fish among themselves. This bird was
out on the Bolivar Beach
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578094

Nice shaggy crests on the sandwich terns
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578097

The two colors of royal tern beaks appear to affect either males or females
and not pairing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578745

But most pairs have the same color as the redder phase is much scarcer
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578766

Lots of strutting
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578284

But fish deliveries are not up to par. This male ate the fish after
offering it to another bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142578281

Up at Anahuac refuge the outer all white willet tail feathers are used in
displays
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577891

And eastern kingbirds have white edged tails
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577890

And the first least bittern of my spring
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577889

Hawks sit up early to dry; their feathers aborb lots of moisture when there
is fog or heavy dew as with this merlin
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577888

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577887

Red-winged blackbirds are displaying
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577795

And swell their throats before singing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577794

The savannah sparrows out on the katy prairie were also damp from the dew
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577785

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577784

Lots of upland plover were in the fields
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577788

They are very alert to hawks, in this case a vulture
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577789

And can hide but keep watch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577790

My long widowed downy woodpecker has finally found a mate and appears to
eggs and perhaps young. The male does not help and is more of a vegetarian
eating loquats and peanuts. He takes the peanuts to an anvil like a
red-belly and breaks them apart. First time I have seen this
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577543

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577542

An unwise cottonmouth was set up in the middle of Hebert road and
threatened passing vehicle. Not something that ensures a long life. He was
safe while I was taking pictures and certainly lives up to his name
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577538

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/142577537

All the pictures can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds