[texbirds-freelists] Re: [texbirds] I.d. help on Goose Island Hummingbird

  • From: tony gallucci <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:23:16 -0500

Jeff,

my first inclination here would be to call this a Broad-billed Hummingbird,
something not unprecedented coastally. i blew it up in photoshop and sharpened
it, and note that it's got an interesting combination of plumage characters
which may be simply an ephemeral pattern of its molt . . . i am especially
intrigued by a few things, the apparent lack of an eyestripe (in shadow?), and
what appear to be a rufous wash on the belly and some rufous perhaps in the
tail (i cannot rule out photo/photoshop artifacts in either of those cases) . .
. all that to say that i hope someone with some field expertise in Emeralds and
perhaps something else i'm overlooking will weigh in . . . in any case, this is
a really good hummer.

tony gallucci
ingram/kerrville/hunt, texas
hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx