[texbirds] recent birding - Christmas Mountains, Laredo, LRGV - Varied Buntings, Western Grebe, migrants

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all

Here's a few notes on recent birding activity.

Thursday at Carolyn Ohl-Johnson's Christmas Mountains Oasis south of Alpine I
saw several Lucifer Hummingbirds, two Varied Buntings, a flock of Blue
Grosbeaks, and a lot of juvenal birds of many desert species.

Friday I stopped by Lake Casa Blanca in Laredo and easily found the Western
Grebe near the dam and two Willet near the fishing pier.

Saturday I hit Sabal Palm, which was pretty quiet but also fortunately not very
buggy.

Today I checked on JD Cortez's report of an adult male Varied Bunting at the La
Puerta FWS tract east of Rio Grande City in Starr Co., and found a male singing
about 400 yards down the main trail.  Given this success, I went to the Yturria
Brush tract and drove the road on the east side.  On my return, I found another
adult male Varied Bunting singing briefly 3 telephone poles north of US 83.
Both tracts are hot, arid brush tracts; go early or don't bother, and take
water.  Lots of Orchard Orioles at both sites, also two flyover Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers.  I also had an Empid but only a quick look at a fairly green
backed bird.

Mary

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas