[texbirds] Re: rare birds in comal county?

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gbird@xxxxxxx, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:20:34 -0700 (PDT)

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Simply put, ebird has asked people to submit birds from feral populations, but
have not provided a way to designate those birds as feral as apposed to
naturally occuring.  Only those species that have distinctly different plumage
as domestic or feral birds from the natural plumage have a (domestic) version
of
the name available.  Ex. Mallard (domestic) and Muscovy (domestic).  Those
birds
where plumage does not vary from naturally occuring birds do not.  So...when
birders submit birds from feral populations as ebird has asked, they must use
the full species name that is also used for naturally occuring populations.
This does cause problems when using the alert features or when comparing list
using the Top 100 link.  There is currently no way to filter these feral birds
out of the lists.

I have written ebird pointing out this problem and suggesting that a check box
could be added to the details page that could be checked to mark feral birds
and
have received a request as to why I would want these birds marked specially to
separate them from naturally occuring birds and how I would use this
information.  I have told them about the above mentioned problems and mentioned
that they could use the checked box to filter out feral birds on needs alerts
and from Top 100 lists.  I don't know if they will do anything to find a
solution, but if it matters to you (or anyone on this list) you might want to
let them know it matters so they will know others care.

Janet Rathjen
Houston, TX