[texbirds] observation of bird migration using weather forecasting technology, 4/18

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:22:06 -0500

The Wind Map (http://earth.nullschool.net ) shows a very tight low pressure
center just off the mouths of the Mississippi River. This is causing a wind
field from NE to SW over the northern Gulf, not a particularly auspicious
situation for trans-Gulf migration but an interesting one. I am waiting to
see what this does to migrating birds like everyone else because it is a
somewhat unusual scenario. The pressure gradient at New Orleans is tight
due to the closeness of the low making for a brisk breeze ENE at 23
slacking to N at 2 knots and ESE at 3 at Brownsville and Corpus
respectively. It is quite rare to see upper air currents at such low
velocities on the southern Texas coast. It would appear that birds might be
deflected from the northern Gulf coast to southern Texas but the wind
speeds make that theory iffy. We must wait and see. Whatever happens it
will be interesting.
John C. Arvin
 Research Associate
 Gulf Coast Bird Observatory