[texbirds] observation of bird migration using weather forecasting technology, 4/15/15

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:05:15 -0500

After yesterday's massive rain event reports from the coast were not too
enthusiastic. Migrants were present but not in large numbers. I expect that
many departed in the evening (although I cicn't check to see). The Wind Map
shows N winds from Brownsville past Lake Charles. The SE winds were shifted
eastward to SE Louisiana and NEXRAD showed migrants arriving from a Houma
to Biloxi front. Most migrants that arrived late yesterday or before are
likely to depart this evening. However, all is not lost. Another low
pressure system is due to impact the coast tomorrow into Saturday. Since
these weather systems tend to come a week apart it is nice when they
coincide with the weekends.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory