[texbirds] nutmeg mannikins Houston

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 14:28:05 -0800 (PST)

For those who think the only place you can find exotic releases are manicured
urban parks, I found a flock of about a dozen females, probably juveniles, and
one male nutmeg mannikin in a rather remote wooded site along Cypress Creek,
between Cypresswood Drive and Louetta Drive. The flock was at least a half mile
from any road or manmade structures. If you want to try to find them yourself,
park at Lakewood Crossing Park on Cypresswood Drive, head northwest and take
the first fork to the right, which is quite hilly and designed by mountain
bikers. The birds were in weedy banks that had been submerged in the last flood
in October.
Usual birds to find here at this time of the year (although I didn't see any
today) are Lincoln's, white-throated, white-crowned, field and chipping
sparrows. Three kinds of wrens with the house wren being the more usual bird
here in the winter.

Carolyn Dill
Houston