[texbirds] mulitiple dark-morph Broadwings, plus an estimating challenge!

  • From: Martin Reid <upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:43:11 -0500

Dear All,
Three of us had a magical hour at Tule Lake in Corpus yesterday around
lunchtime, clocking more than 35,000 raptor migrants including EIGHT dark morph
Broad-winged Hawks.  Record photos of six of these dark birds plus images of
some kettles can be found here:
http://www.martinreid.com/Main%20website/Broadwingdark2.html

- also therein, at the bottom of the page, is a photo of a flock of Wood
Storks; take a quick look and estimate the number of birds... then actually
count the number of birds to see how good your estimate was!  I try to do this
on a regular basis to calibrate my "gut" estimating ability against hard data;
typically I underestimate by a significant amount...
Good luck, and If you prefer to get the precise count from me, just drop me a
line.
Martin

---
Martin Reid