[texbirds] more nuthatches

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:42:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Texbirders,

On October 20th I banded two female Red-breasted Nuthatches in my Chappell Hill
yard in Washington County. Tuesday afternoon I observed one of the banded birds
in the yard, plus an unbanded male and an unbanded HY bird. There may have been
a fourth nuthatch present, but the group was moving about quickly.

On Monday afternoon in Brenham on Harrison Street a yard hosted 3 RBNUs. Two
males and a female were foraging in a pecan tree. Earlier in the afternoon a
female nuthatch was observed on Sycamore Street in Brenham. A heard-only
nuthatch was encountered in a subdivision north of Chappell Hill on October
23rd. This is the largest irruption of Red-breasted Nuthatches that I have ever
witnessed since becoming a serious birder in 1995. I would be interested in
hearing about similar nuthatch irruptions in past years from long-time birders
out there.

Darrell Vollert
Chappell Hill