[texbirds] Re: [leasbirds] Good birding east and northeast of Lubbock today

  • From: Kelly Himmel <kfhimmel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 19:58:33 -0500

Anthony and anyone else interested,
The water in the Cone Playa is a result of a once common irrigation
practice that has almost disappeared (I've only seen one or two other
instances in this area since I moved back here in 2007) .  At one time
farmers in the strong water areas north and east of Lubbock would water
down the row on sloping land and let the runoff accumulate in their playa
and then pump it back into their irrigation system.  Thirty five years ago
this practice led to some very good breeding habitat for waterfowl, herons,
and shorebirds in eastern Hale, Floyd and northwestern Crosby Counties.

By the way, some very good birds you found over here along the Caprock.

Kelly Himmel
Crosby County