[texbirds] large number of birds at L. Tawakoni

  • From: Richard <rdkrsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bosieb@xxxxxxxxxxx, deeann.gorham@xxxxxxxxx, pollydetels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, robert.haynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donna.Garde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ross.rasmussen@xxxxxxx, greengrass2181@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have been birding long enough to get a little jaded at times.  But
the sheer magnitude of the number of birds this morning  at Lake
Tawakoni was mind numbing.  Not so much for the warblers only 12
species. But the volume of other birds.  100's of mixed swallows of all
species were feeding everywhere over Lake Tawakoni.  At least 500
Cliffs alone and  even a few Swifts got in on  the feeding frenzy.
There were midges a few feet over the lake and the swallows were after
them.  Along the Van Zandt Co., shore 100's of peeps foraged along with
with Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Wilson's Phalaropes and a few
lingering Golden Plovers.  Also present was a large mixed gull/tern
flock with several late Bonaparte's and a couple Herrings thrown in for
fun.  It is unusual to have this large of a mixed gull/tern flock so
late in the year 100's of birds. In Rains Co. a lone Hudsonian Godwit
was a surprise. Cedar Cove in Rains Co. was also covered in low to the
ground feeding swallows with Cave and Trees more noticeable here with
the 100's of Cliffs. There were 100's of shorebirds here and a Merlin
took a couple of passes at them I had my first Semiplamated Plover
here.  Peeps and Lesser Yellowlegs ruled things here.  On the drive
over a few Harris's Sparrows all decked out were posing on the fences.
The woods below the spillway was the focus of the passerine movement. 2
Blue-winged Warblers were playing chase along the pipeline cut through
the woods. Two together is the most I have seen inland so I was really
surprised to find a third on the Rains Co. side of the Sabine River
below the dam.  Below the spillway was active with bird song echoing it
seemed everywhere. Tennessees called it seemed everywhere and were
answered by Nashvilles.  High in a tree a Blackburnian fed.  The woods
had  over forty Swainson's  Thrushes and a Veery popped up on a tree
limb and posed for awhile.  I could watch the birds fly up into a
little open area among the many things that stopped were 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks dozens of Indigo Buntings and Dickcissels.
Among the Warblers seen today were:
  Blue-winged Warbler 3
Tennessee Warbler 24
Orange-crowned Warbler 6+
Nashville Warbler 24
Northern Parula 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler 24
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Yellow-throated Warbler 2
Black-and-White Warbler 1
Prothonotary Warbler 6
Wilson's Warbler 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 4+

Among the other surprises was a latish Northern Harrier and several
Broad-winged Hawks waiting for the low clouds and mist to vanish so
they could move on north called impatiently back and forth.

Richard Kinney
Edgewood, TX