[texbirds] hawks, doves, munias cardinals or yard birding

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:28:38 -0500

Yesterday I had my first hawk migrant of the season when a sharp-shinned
hawk went over heading west. Not sure if it was the same bird when a shadow
went over the parking lot going east a bit later but I never saw the bird.
In the pm, a different young cooper's hawk found the feeder and spent the
day really annoying the white-winged doves and being annoyed by the blue
jays.
The cooper's cornered a dove against the balcony wall a couple of times but
was not able to grab them. It spent a good bit of time on the rail preening
and making sure that the flank patches were fluffy when going over hawk
watches.

The local young cooper's hawk is more restrained and I usually see him when
going out and he moves. But at times he sits tight and watches for a bird
to flush since he has learned that I make a good beater.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161010394

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161010395

The young of the year red-tailed hawks perched up and watched squirrels but
still begged for food. They have moved off in the last 10 days or so.
Barred owls still hooting at night but not in the heat of the day.

A couple of weeks ago, 2 scaly-breasted munias came to the balcony for 2
days and then vanished. Yesterday 3 birds came in between cooper's hawk
visits but were not back today. They may have another feeder somewhere and
visit me when that feeder is empty as they come from civilization rather
than along the bayou.

I have more cardinals that at any time other than one February several
years ago. Most are young of the year but have suppressed the
territoriality of the adult cardinals. One can only chase so many at a time.

Yesterday, several very young white-winged doves showed up and may be the
first really local young ever. Did not find any evidence of nesting on my
walks though single birds were calling. One adult dove has a tall crest
which is not just ruffled feathers.

And a few hummingbirds have been visiting since the end of July. Only a
couple at a time but they hang out for several days.

And the best bird of the season is a nervous female white-tailed
hummingbird that visits late in the day but not during the day. The entire
tail consists of all white feathers which really caught my attention on the
first few visits.

One male black and white warbler has been the only land bird migrant. Not
even orchard orioles in the bayou berries. But 104 and 103 does not
encourage activity. Fall is rapidly approaching though as the squirrel
people are rapidly growing their new tail feathers to keep that appendage
warm. Seems a little out of season and not really tied to need but they do
it every year at this time..

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston