[texbirds] Re: documentation of birds

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: terrverts@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:19:41 -0500

For what it's worth here, as a reviewer I can entirely see Cameron's
point - and if anyone wants to replace either/both of us as reviewers,
we'd probably have lower blood pressure for it....

Pictures are helpful. The photo of a wigeon (not sure why it was
flagged in that case, actually) was a really lovely photo of... not a
wigeon. Not sure what the notes would have said, if the notes had been
anything other than a photo, but often enough the only notes in ebird
say "photo taken" and then fingers are crossed that they'll email back
with the correct bird.

Notes, often enough, make me want to cry. I don't care if you're from
Dallas and Black Vultures nest on your patio (though I'd love to see
that) and you're insulted that I asked for notes on Black Vultures
reported from Reeves County: if you can't describe a semi-circle of a
vulture that was not a Common Black Hawk (though that'd be excellent
for Reeves County as well), it can't be accepted. Much less the report
of seven of them, because your list included all of I-10 from San
Antonio on west.

Credentials aside, if you have eyeballs and paper and some sort of
writing utensil, it's better than nothing. And please don't harp on my
support of photos because at least a few of y'all on this list know my
mother and should be very thankful that she doesn't email you her
'what hawk is this?' photos -- usually I really wish she did NOT have
a camera! Her blurs can sometimes be deciphered as Red-shouldered,
Red-tailed, Accip-blur, or lumps that really could have been just
about anything. I am just thankful that she hasn't discovered ebird.

-h

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain