[texbirds] Re: common-names capitalization

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:16:13 -0500

In regards to capitalizing common names there seems to be a long way to go
before this is close to standardized.  One of my activities is coaching a
4-H contest for youth called the Wildlife Habitat Education Program.  This
is not the place for all the details.  Go to www.whep.org if interested;
however, part of the contest  since a 2007 revision is a wildlife
identification quiz.  Contestants have to identify a variety of birds,
mammals, and herps.  Spelling counts, and that includes capitalization.  The
rules state that caps are only for proper names, etc.  The contest was
designed by a bunch of PhD's by the way.
Although I agree the capitalization of common names makes sense, I think the
rule needs to be adopted across all animals and plants- not just birds.
Otherwise it just confuses us regular folk.  The majority of people who have
some interest in the natural world, but aren't as focused hard core
birders/ornithologists don't need that nit picked unless everything is
standardized.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

3 inches of rain - hip hip hooray