[texbirds] broad tailed Hummer, Say's Phoebe, snowy plovers 1/31

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:01:48 -0800 (PST)

I found two rufuous hummers. and what I believe to be a immature male broad
tailed hummingbird at Russ Pitman. That last one favoring
the water on rocks feature around 9 a.m. Has rose colored strip below its beak,
throat sides still white, all green back with no
scalloping. He also likes the driveway shrimp plants.
Eight snowy plovers at East Beach Galveston, one with a band on leg, couldn't
read it.

Biggest surprise, never seen on Galveston in all the decades I've birded here,
a Say's Phoebe at Lafitte's Cove.
I first found it in the middle of the nature preserve and it soon moved out to
open field, last seen near the smallest
pond in eastmost section of Lafitte's Cove. As it doesn't belong here, I don't
expect it hang around but worth a look.
The black tail with dull brown back and dull salmon belly are easy field marks.
Eastern Phoebes are around, too.

FOS Cattle Egrets at Corps Woods. Jamaica Beach's hidden pond on beach still
has marsh wrens. White tailed (black shouldered) kites
are pairing up, found three pairs throughout island.

Carolyn Dill
Houston