[texbirds] addendum re. Hidalgo Co. birding (12/07/15): Wilson's Snipe (Brushline Rd.)

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 12:55:17 -0600

One of my photos of the birds (Monday, 12/07/15) in the flooded field
(pasture?) just south of FM-186 on Brushline Road on its west
side (mentioned in my posting of yesterday) revealed the presence of two
WILSON'S SNIPE. I had failed to notice them in the very late-day light on
that occasion (and via later camera-back examination), and they therefore
were unreported in my posting of yesterday evening. Viewed on my computer,
the snipes actually caught my attention when I was not even scanning the
images for additional species. This nicely illustrates still another reason
that cameras are indispensible to birders! In sum, we detected at that
location the following shorebird species: 20 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS,
several GREATER YELLOWLEGS, one LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and two WILSON'S SNIPE.
As mentioned yesterday, that particular flooded area also had SANDHILL
CRANE (3).
Wishing everyone the best of birding -- Rex Stanford (Weslaco).