[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk in Boerne on Aug. 21

  • From: Patty Leslie Pasztor <pasztor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 08:21:22 -0500

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in sending this note out.  We saw a Zone-tailed Hawk on
Aug. 21 while doing our butterfly survey in Boerne at Cibolo Nature Center!  I
was keeping an eye on a suspicious vulture-looking bird off and on over the
Prairie at a distance.  Close to 9:30 am, a Zone-tailed Hawk flew right over
our heads giving us a great look!  I did see a Zone-tailed there in 2011 on
July 26th, so we try to look closely at everything flying.  We were out again
last week, but didn't spot it.  Lora, thanks for your post and nice photos
yesterday!  I wonder if it's the same bird.

Patty Leslie Pasztor
San Antonio, TX

Cibolo Nature Ctr. (HOTE 078), Kendall, US-TXAug 21, 2012 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: participants: Anne Adams, Charles Brown, Eva Fromme, Patty L. Pasztor
and Shyamala rao.
26 species (+2 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  11
Black Vulture  2
Turkey Vulture  3
Zone-tailed Hawk  1     Flying above the marsh / prairie region
Eurasian Collared-Dove  1
White-winged Dove  14
Greater Roadrunner  1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
Empidonax sp.  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2
Loggerhead Shrike  2
White-eyed Vireo  8
Red-eyed Vireo  2     Creek south near Spicebush area
Barn Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  6
Black-crested Titmouse  3
Carolina Wren  5