[texbirds] Zone-tailed Hawk, House Finch, & others-- photos

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 20:05:05 -0800 (PST)

Today was a spectacular day to bird in the Valley. Sunny, breezy, cool. I raced
the sunrise from Brownsville to Anzaludas County Park. As I got near the park
there were kestrels and a juvenile White-tailed Hawk perched in the trees. I
ambled about in a leisurely manner, and was soon rewarded with a calling House
Finch, spiffy in his red jacket. A bit later, I was photographing a cooperative
Black Phoebe in a tree overlooking the river, when I caught a movement in the
corner of my eye. I turned, and holy moley, it was a Zone-tailed Hawk cruising
by at low altitude. It was the first time I saw this elusive species. I snapped
a few exposures. There also were 8 or 10 Cattle Egrets on snags in the river.
Thank you SeEtta Moss, Mary Gustafson and Dan Jones for the helpful leads on
these species.

At dusk, I enjoyed the great spectacle of the flocks of shrieking parrots
gathering to roost at Oliveira Park in Brownsville. One of the RGV's hidden
treasures.

ID corrections are welcome. Best photos from the day are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo