[texbirds] Yard birding, squirrels and their friends the cooper's hawks and cardinals

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:18:46 -0500

For some time, I have had great fun watching the interactions between my
young male cooper's hawk and my squirrels. The squirrels usually run the
hawk off after a bit but at other times they get along well. Today I was
heading for the recliner with my ipad when the hawk landed on the rail and
I was able to get a picture.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/161305987

Shortly thereafter, the hawk moved to a feeder which is a favorite perch
but was almost knocked off by a gray squirrel. the hawk flew to the end of
the deck where another squirrel charged up the rail and I heard someone
connect with the rail? as the hawk fled to the tree nearby.

this has been going on since late July. The week before labor day I had 4
cooper's trying to feed on the balcony with both adult and young male and
female birds present. I am waiting for one of the big females to land on
the rail and get charged to see if something else happens.

Doves get caught based on feathers but the hawk influx has at least in the
short term moved most of the white-wings off elsewhere. Hopefully they
migrated for the labor day weekend. Mourning doves still stay and just
brought a very dumb chick to eat who probably will not last.

The cooper's hawk still has not learned to select one bird from many on the
deck. It just dives in and misses all even those trapped against a window
or door. Passed less than a foot over a squirrel which did not move. Cut
seed costs by 80%.

Best year ever for cardinals. At one point had 28 youngsters on the deck at
dusk with more coming and going. They have recently left due to hawks or
the normal fall exodus for better weedseeds elsewhere.

Lots of variation in molt of the youngsters. One male grew red in the
center breast like a pyrhuloxia and another had tall front crest feathers
also like its cousin. Most are now molted with the last young ones arriving
late in August.

Great times in the recliner.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy