[texbirds] Williamson's Sapsucker (no) and CBC information

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:59:09 -0600

After work today I stopped by the cemetery, as the last two negative
reports of Williamson's Sapsucker had me worried. After checking every
tree with a truck (vs. shrubby junipers) and turning up empty handed,
I'm fairly sure that either the bird's routine is drastically
different, or it has moved on. The western fence line did have one
pile of feathers, but they were either from a domestic chicken or a
very large, fluffy, buff-golden colored sapsucker. So, leaning
chicken.

Other than one Say's Phoebe, a Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler, a very
chatty Verdin, and the pile of chicken feathers, no sign of
Williamson's Sapsucker. Sorry, folks.

As for Christmas Bird Counts, Balmorhea is in dire need of counters!
It's a fantastic count for Sage Sparrows, and is the same weekend as
the Davis Mountains count (15/16) so it's really a great combination
of mountains and water back to back (and Williamson's Sapsucker is
regular for the Fort Davis CBC, so....)

Anyway, straight from the HAS page:
http://www.bigbendnature.com/2012/12/west-texas-christmas-bird-counts.html

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain