[texbirds] Williamson County to Colorado County and back 9/9/12

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:09:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday 9 Sept, I decided to spend the day making a birding loop from NW
Austin (Williamson Co.) down to Colorado Co. and back.  My main goal was to
work on my county 100s, particularly for Caldwell and Colorado counties where I
have been sitting in the high 90s for some time now.  Mission accomplished.
When all was said in done, I had spent time in 98 different counties, though I
did not bird all of them.  My only highlight for Williamson Co. was the
Ruby-throated Hummingbird at my feeder (I have also been having Baltimore
Orioles regularly, but did not see any yesterday). The only county where I did
not have any highlights, mainly because I really just cut through there to get
from point A to point B was Lavaca County.  Full lists will be uploaded to
eBird and only highlights are mentioned.  It was was a good day with a nice
scattering of migrants.

Caldwell Co. (All Lockhart City Park except the raptors)
Redhead 1 drake (has been present at least since last winter)
Broad-winged Hawk 2
American Kestrel 1

Belted Kingfisher 1
Eastern Wood-pewee 1
Least Flycatcher 1

Philadelphia Vireo 1

Nashville Warbler 1

Northern Parula 1
Yellow Warbler 3
Wilson's Warbler 1
Baltimore Oriole 1

Guadalupe Co. (Salt Lake)

Blue-winged Teal 30
Northern Shoveler 5
Pied-billed Grebe 1

Great Egret 2
Little Blue Heron 2

White-faced Ibis 3

Gonzales Co.
Broad-winged Hawk 1

Great Crested Flycatcher 3
Eastern Kingbird 1

Blue-headed Vireo 1

Colorado Co. (Most of my time was spent driving the roads around Eagle Lake and
at the Eagle Lake Municipal Park, the latter being a nice spot with lots of
potential for migrants and such)

Anhinga 1

Little Blue Heron 1

Tricolored Heron 2
Cattle Egret 206

White Ibis 3

Spotted Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 3

Belted Kingfisher 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1

Nashville Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Northern Waterthrush 3
Wilson's Warbler 2

Canada Warbler 1
Indigo Bunting 3
Painted Bunting 1 adult male
Baltimore Oriole 2

Fayette Co. (Ponds south side of road along Hwy 71 at La Grange except for the
hawks

Blue-winged Teal 12
Pied-billed Grebe 8'
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 3
Little Blue Heron 7
Tricolored Heron 1
White-faced Ibis 1
Swainson's Hawk 5

Killdeer 6
Least Sandpiper 1

Bastrop Co.
Swainson's Hawk ~15 in a kettle near Shipp Lake

Travis Co.
American Kestrel 1

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy