[texbirds] Williamson County Big Day Jan 1st (Local, long, and meandering)

  • From: Randy Duncan <osufight@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:28:55 -0800

  In preparation I had used the Ebird explore a region area function to create
a custom list of all the Wilco bords seen in the last three weeks. Then very
nerd-like I cut and pasted this info onto a spreadsheet and ranked the birds
based on what I thought the possibility of finding each bird. Birds I was 100%
sure of I gave a #5. 80% were a #4. 60%=#3. 40%=#2. Rarities were given a #1.
The list was 138 birds..

We got 37/37 #5 Birds!... Spotted Towhee at Tejas was the last #5
17 of 22 #4... missed Red Shoulder hawk. Ladderback. Less goldfinch. Least
sandpiper. Snowy Egret
15 of 23 #3...    proud to get 65% Spotted Sandpiper. Winter Wren. Cara Cara.
Hermit Thrush... etc
16 of 32 #2... 50%! Rock wren. Waxwings, Redheads, Swamp Sparrow, Wood Duck. GH
Owl... etc
3 of 24 #1... Eastern Towhee. Greater Scaup. White Pelicans (20 on Meadowlake
had us giggling)!
         We also got 3 Birds not on the 3 week list!... Mountain Plovers. Sora,
and Marsh Wren.

    91 birds broke our previous year by 5 birds. Daughter Meghan dutifully
logged all 15 of our stops on Ebird if anyone wants to see where we went. I am
regretting skipping Berry Springs Park for Russell Park.I had found Rufous
capped Sparrows and Canyon Wrens at Russell in the last couple weeks but dipped
on both. Heading to our last two stops we had two rarer varieties Eastern
Towhee and Greater Scaup but not the common SPTO or Lesser Scaup. Tejas and
Res#2 gave us both birds, A Great Horned Owl started calling as the sun set at
Res#2 and I was actually able to get him in the scope-- it was our first bird
of 2014 Big Day and our last this year.

     The stop of the day was a small drainage pond at the corner of AW Grimes
and University. I saw cattails and turned in on a whim. In five minutes we got
the Sora,Swamp Sparrow, Marsh Wren, and Common Yellowthoat!
          Thanks to Tim Fennell for his great directions on the Mountain
Plovers and the Greater Scaup (my wife reports the Scaup is still there this
morning). Thanks to Meghan for her determination. According to Ebird our total
was the third most in Texas for the day... probably because most sane people
stayed home!

I still say January 1st is a silly day for a Big Day... Too short on sunlight
and too cold! That being said... Next year we shoot for 100!

Randy and Meghan Duncan
Leander TX