[texbirds] Williamson Co.: Mountain Plovers, Longspurs, Prairie Falcon

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 21:41:21 -0600

Hi All,
This afternoon Arman Moreno and myself birded Granger Lake, more
specifically the ag fields north of the lake. Despite it being decently
cold and a bit windy, we had a great afternoon, highlighted by 17 Mountain
Plovers on CR 360. The birds were on the freshly plowed field on the inside
of the 90 degree turn of the road. These plovers were extremely close to
the road, providing the best looks I've ever had at the species, and
definitely the best photo op I've ever had of MOPLs
https://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/16134621126/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/15538069904/in/photostream/

 As we were watching plovers, a group of longspurs were spooked up by a
Kestrel out of the same field, and made several laps around the field
before settling back down...Arman got some photos of the flock, showing
almost all McCown's with one bird that appears in my opinion to be a
Chestnut-collared Longspur based on the tail pattern. A link to that
picture follows. If anyone thinks differently, lemme know.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/armanmoreno/16160782085/in/photostream/

After leaving 360, we had a Prairie Falcon on CR 359, hauling off to the
west. Arman got some diagnostic photos.

After working these fields, we drove south to the Thrall Area in hopes of
relocating Tim's Whooping Crane. No cranes of any sort, although we did
have a large flock of about 75 Greater White-fronted Geese and 13 Snow
Geese.

Happy New Year,
Sam Fason, Austin