[texbirds] Willacy County birding

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:53:37 -0600

All,

On our way back from the Valley yesterday (11/24/13), we stopped off in
Willacy County to look for the Prairie Falcon and Mountain Plovers. We drove
the entire length of CR 375 but didn't see the Prairie Falcon. There were
lots of other birds though including Sandhill Cranes, Sprague's Pipits,
Eastern and Western Meadowlarks, and  many Norther Harriers. Mesquite Road
was too muddy to drive so weren't able to put in much effort for the
Mountain Plovers. On our way out we headed north along CR 375 to CR 1400E
and headed west on it to get back to SH 77. Between FM 2099 and CR 330 we
noticed a decent sized body of water to the north and we were able to head
north on CR 330S and take a right on CR 1500 to get a good look at it. There
were a lot of ducks and shorebirds so we scoped through them and among the
many Western Sandpipers and Dunlin we found Snowy Plovers, Stilt Sandpipers,
Wilson's Phalaropes and Least Sandpipers (full list below). Tad also spotted
a Say's Phoebe and I found a Vermilion Flycatcher. It was quite a birdy
place so I thought I'd pass on the word. Great for county listing.

Sue

Northern Shoveler  58
Green-winged Teal  1
Green-winged Teal (American)  1