[texbirds] Wigeons, Gadwall, Ring-necked -- White-breasted Nuthatch -- Brazos County

  • From: Shirley Wilkerson <shirley.wilkerson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:34:00 -0500

Wigeons - 15
Gadwal -  17
Ring-necked - 5 (one male)
These are on an unnamed lake going out of town(Bryan) towards Hearne on Hwy
6 North.  Follow Hwy 6 till you pass Sadberry Rd (on W side of Hwy),
continue a short ways to the convenience store on the right, turn in on
Lakeway Drive and drive around to the right side of the lake.  NOT a good
place to stop, but best place to view lake.  Lots of traffic, so beware,
esp on a Sat.  (Google Maps has a smaller lake named Savoy-Gant Lake just
south of this lake.)  Between Hearne and Bryan on Hwy 50, one or two
Northern Harriers, and several Red-tailed Hawks.

We have had a White-breasted Nuthatch here since June 30.  Still here.

A few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are still around.  Some in our club had a
Rufous for a day -- and Brazos County has had an influx of immature
Red-headed and Pileated Woodpeckers in the area over the last few weeks.

A few photos here:    - - - the ducks were very distant - - -  The first 15
photos include the nuthatch, our FOS White-throated and Chipping Sparrows,
FOS N Flicker.

http://www.bluemelon.com/caramia/recentimages#page-0

Shirley Wilkerson
Kurten, Brazos Count