[texbirds] Re: White-winged Dove -- tail bobbing

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scottrpts@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 16:57:28 -0600

White-singed doves pretty much bob everywhere, on fences, on the ground, on
wires‹everywhere. I think it is a display behavior that is at least loosely
associated with nesting and territoriality as it seems to be intensified in
calling males during nesting season and when several doves are present at
the same site.
--
Dan Smith
Dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From:  David Scott <scottrpts@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Saturday, December 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
To:  "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [texbirds] White-winged Dove -- tail bobbing

I've been watching White-winged Doves come to our feeders. I'm struck with
the amount of tail bobbing these birds do. I have looked at several field
guides and website to discover any information about this behavior. I have
struck out.
I'm wondering if the birds are bobbing to balance themselves on the bar
where our feeders are hung. I would appreciate any information/wisdom
others of you have about this.

David Scott
College Station, TX