[texbirds] Re: White-faced Ibis in the Panhandle

  • From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 11:31:35 -0600

Hi Dennis,
Great sighting! White-faced Ibises have been lingering in small numbers
throughout the Panhandle this fall. I've had a few in Floyd County recently
and Tony Frank noted a couple in Lamb County a week and a half ago.

Shorebirds are also lingering with the relatively mild weather and ample
habitat. On 26 November, I located the large, roaming mixed flock on a
playa between Floydada and Dougherty (Floyd Co.) that contained 35 American
Avocets, 25+ Greater Yellowlegs, 5+ Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 MARBLED GODWIT, 10
Stilt Sandpipers, 2 presumed Pectoral (and not Sharp-tailed) Sandpipers,
and over 250 Long-billed Dowitchers. The one day I left for fieldwork
without my scope! Otherwise, just a smattering of yellowlegs and Killdeer
on other area playas.

Good birding,
Justin

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Howdy Texbirders,
Yesterday, I found seven White-faced Ibis at three different locations
along Texas 207. I also had an American Avocet a few miles north of
Crosbyton. These sightngs were tagged as rare on eBird. FYI for the
Panhandle birders. I got photos of the birds.
Good birding to all during this CBC season.
Dennis
in Amarillo
--
W. Dennis Shepler