[texbirds] White-collared Seedeater Bonanza

  • From: <pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 16:18:56 +0000

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Raul and I birded Las Palmas Trail and Zacate Creek this morning.  The place
was hopping.  We had AT LEAST 12 White-collared Seedeaters.  I say at least
because I actually lost count after 12.  We had 8 males, most singing, and four
females.  And then we had a couple fly-bys.  We also had two Clay-colored
Robins singing, two Hooded Orioles, two Black Phoebes, and so on and so forth.
The seedeaters were everywhere we looked.  Very exciting stuff.  We then drove
through St. Peter's Square and saw ten Green Parakeets.  I wanted to stop to
get a better count, but Raul didn't want to stop the truck.  From there we went
to Lake Casa Blanca where we had the two Western Grebes.

Reporting from hot Laredo,

Susan Foster
Monte Mucho Audubon Society Charter Member
Laredo, Webb County