[texbirds] What color are the feet of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet?

  • From: James Giroux <jamesagiroux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Lists - Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:49:55 -0600

Here's a field mark on a very common bird that I have never noticed until
now: Do you know what color the feet of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet are?  Kudos
if you do. If not, take a guess. Gray, you say? Pink you think? Black?
Brown?
Would you believe a bright orangish yellow that contrasts with the black
legs much like the legs and feet of a Snowy Egret? Skeptical? I would be
also, were it not for a photo I took a couple days ago that shows this
trait. The Kaufman guide does not mention this field mark, but Stokes
describes it like this: "Legs and especially feet orangish." Sibley does
not describe the feet, but clearly shows the color in his illustrations.
Golden-crowneds share the same trait.

I have looked at several photos on the internet, and there is a lot of
variation - ranging from no visible yellow to Snowy Egret feet. Here's the
photo that brought this to light for me.

http://jamesagiroux.com/Ruby-crownedKinglet.html

James Giroux
Austin, TX