[texbirds] Western Tanager @ Hazel Bazemore Dec 30...

  • From: Brad Wier <bobby_wier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 06:54:03 -0800 (PST)

David Scott and I were surprised today by an apparent Western Tanager at Hazel
Bazemore park in Corpus.  It was working the trees at the western corner of the
park along the fence adjacent to both the golf course and the enclosure with
the llamas (26.866968 x -97.644895) around 7:45-8 AM. We had good views for
about a minute, after which I ran for my camera and the bird disappeared
downhill past the llamas and off into the distance to the west.

Looked like a juvenile male -- just a hint of orange smudging around the chin
and face, whitish and brownish wingbars, and pale yellow and white body
feathers.

Not a bird we were expecting to see on December 30, but it seems there have
been others reported around lately.

A very cold morning at Hazel! But the endless streams of sandhill cranes
overhead at dawn were quite a sight.

Brad Wier
San Antonio