[texbirds] Western Grebes, prob. Thayer's Gull in East Harris County, 3/10

  • From: "Ken Hartman" <kahartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:27:17 -0500

Stephan Lorenz and I met by chance at Thompson's Fishing Camp in far eastern
Harris County yesterday (3/10) afternoon.  He had already spotted two
Western Grebes, much closer to shore than he had seen previously.  Stephan
also located what appears to be a very worn, first cycle Thayer's Gull on
the piers visible to the north of the fishing camp. He and I managed to get
some distant photos, and he has posted a few at:

http://birdsonashoestring.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/harris-co-thayersiceland-
gull/

More photos available on request, if anyone is so inclined.

Other birds of interest included Franklin's Gull, an adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull, and lingering Goldeneye and Bufflehead.

Ken Hartman

Houston, TX