[texbirds] Webberville to Bastrop & back today

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:23:34 -0600

I got a late start, but birded from car from Little Webberville Park to Bastrop
State Park and back today. Stopped at Big Webberville Park as well, but did not
see eagles at nest and didn't really bird that park other than to note a few
meadowlarks. Intended to do Bastrop SP and Buescher, but found the park road to
Buescher closed after only a couple of miles.

Highlight was a Ferruginous Hawk in the large field behind the Lowe's in
Bastrop. The bird was still in juvenile plumage, and was quite light on the
breast. I did see it fly, having disturbed it on a street lamp and so got good
looks at it both perched and flying. It is a big bird. Saw it on the way out,
but not on the way back, although a juvenile red-tailed hawk was now in the
vicinity. If I recall correctly, Brush also had a FEHA in this field last year
following a cold spell, but probably not the same bird.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com