[texbirds] Washington-on-the-Brazos Sparrow 12x12

  • From: Rick Laughlin <richard.laughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 08:41:16 -0600

TEXBIRDers,
An enthusiastic crowd from the Rio Brazos Audubon Society ambled around
Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park in NE Washington County for our annual
quest to see 12 sparrows before 12 noon. We were able to wrangle sightings
on 9 sparrows, but were kept busy by the numerous other species tucked into
the woods and flying past. For sparrows, highlights included FOX,
WHITE-CROWNED, VESPER, FIELD, and LINCOLN'S. For other park birds, we were
greeted early on by a BEWICK'S WREN, a fly-by YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD,
NORTHERN FLICKER, RING-NECKED DUCKS and a mating pair of RED-SHOULDERED
HAWKS. We were later treated to fly-by WOOD DUCKS and SANDHILL CRANES,
BLUE-GREY GNATCATCHERS and loads of AMERICAN PIPETS. On the way back to
park headquarters, we found a BELTED KINGFISHER and a lone PINE SISKIN.
Incomplete list (my sightings) are below.

Non-bird sightings included a small HOGNOSE SNAKE rescued from the trail
(and our numerous boot treds) and several SULFER BUTTERFLIES flitting
around the fields.

Although we fell short of our 12-sparrow goal, I think the group was more
than happy to be walking around in the bright sunshine and enjoying the
great variety of species seen (over 50!). I've included a link to a web
album of some pictures taken and others can be seen at the RBAS Fb
page<https://www.facebook.com/groups/281152578656334/>
.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111661299084671949759/12x12SparrowQuest2014?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thanks to Bruce Neville for leading us and to everyone else that came out
and enjoyed the morning with us! Safe travels and good luck to those that
left after the walk chasing that Slaty-backed gull in Laredo.

Good birds,

Rick Laughlin
College Station, TX